How-To: Lip Color

Applying lip color is one of the simplest of all makeup steps and is a great way to instantly change a look.  Lip color applications range from simple, blotted-on stains to combinations of lip pencil, lipstick, and gloss.

The right shade works with the skin tone and complements the natural color of the lips.  You can choose from a wide range of product formulas, which include matte, sheer, shimmery, and creamy lipsticks and glosses.

15 thoughts on “How-To: Lip Color

1. I would love it if you could use more models with red hair for some of your makeup looks!!

Ellen Farkas MD Reply:

Reply on October 4th, 2012

I agree one hundred percent!! As the colors get more colorful and away from the original (and sorely missed) brown tones, its become much harder for those of us with this type of coloring to find our way through the products!! Malted lipstick and Mocha stain lip stain were my staples for years!!

Emily Reply:

Reply on June 3rd, 2014

Have you found mocha stain anywhere?

Reply on June 4th, 2014

Hi Emily. We’re thrilled to hear you loved Mocha Lip Stain—we did too! It’s no longer available but give Sheer Lip Color in the shade Bobbi a try for a similar look. View here: http://bit.ly/BBSheerLC.

2. Can you please tell me the lip & cheek shades used on this model? Thank you!!!

Reply on September 20th, 2012

Hi Kelly, the model is wearing Pale Pink blush and Pink Mauve Creamy Lip Color. Thanks!

Kelly Reply:

Reply on September 20th, 2012

Thanks! I don’t see Pink Mauve in Creamy Lip Color but I do see it in regular lip color. Would it be Pink Mauve in regular Lip Color?

Reply on September 20th, 2012

Yes—sorry for our mistake. It is Pink Mauve Lip Color and we just love this shade.

Kelly Reply:

Reply on September 21st, 2012

Thanks :-)

3. I love Guava lipstick withApricot pencil. Can’t find apricot pencil anywhere. Any suggestions?

Reply on November 6th, 2012

Apricot Lip Liner has been phased out and we’re sorry for any disappointment. Try Beige Lip Liner for a more neutral tone that will pair beautifully with your Guava Lip Color. Find here: http://bit.ly/BBLipliner.

Marlyn Reply:

Reply on November 10th, 2012

Thanks. I ordered 2.

4. Hi, I’m Thai with medium w/ little fair skin tone (I think!) and I have pigmented lips, what lip colours would be good on me? I’m 46 and do not wear makeup but want to wear just lipstick to fresh up my face for everyday look. Thanks.

Reply on November 19th, 2012

We’re eager to recommend some great options for your lips but need a little more info first! Our online Bobbi Brown Artists are standing by to offer personalized suggestions for you. Click here & let’s chat: http://bit.ly/BBChat