Everybody is on a January “detox” and I mean everyone—from the bloggers to magazines to much-admired health gurus. I’ve been on many over the years and these are my thoughts: Perfection doesn’t work. Better does.
Bobbi’s “Food Cleanup” Rules:
1. Drink. Water, water with lemon, water with ginger and lemon, water and coconut water, etc! Take a big break from your nightly “party” drink. Stop until Saturday and even then, have one on ice or with a glass of Pellegrino or regular water to keep you hydrated.
2. Eat. Up your intake of colorful veggies and fruit. Choose dark leafy greens, orange, red and blue fruits (I eat out of season sometimes, e.g., blueberries in January). Think less grains (even healthy ones) and more fat (only good ones like olive oil and those found in nuts and fish).
3. Move—a lot. Do yoga, walk, stretch, lift run … anything and often. It is the bomb because it works your body and mind.
4. Do nothing. Read, watch, retreat.
5. Keep your mind open and positive.
Need inspiration? Below, are some of my favorite recipes from my health expert friends.