Meet Joe Brown

Joe Brown

Growing up, my dad worked as a lawyer so his days were filled paperwork,and laws, but when he’d come home to tuck me into bed his imagination would run wild. He would tell me stories about a taxi driver named Marceau who was always going on some new adventure. I loved it. After retiring from his career as a lawyer, I convinced him to write down his stories and one day, I surprised him by publishing one of his books. That was the start of his new career at the age of 70—a children’s book author. I already know how awesome my dad is but I wanted you to get to know him too. Read more about him below—and find out how you can win one of five copies of my dad’s children’s book,The Flights of Marceau—Race to the Rescue.

Love you, Dad!

XO,

Bobbi

1. When we were young, you used to share stories with us about a taxi driver named Marceau. How did you come up with Marceau’s character?

I remember that I had just finished reading a very exciting adventure book and wondered if I could write a story that good.

I said to myself, “Marceau is my name and this is my tale” and it happened to rhyme with whale. “I have traveled the seas on the back of a whale” and in one quick thought the entire character became clear in my mind.

Marceau is a taxi driver. A noble job it is, but the repetitiveness of his daily experiences led him to create imaginary adventures. He and his best friend, Majesty the eagle, return from Imagination (yes, there really is such a place) with a new story of an amazing adventure that he relates to the kid in the backseat of this cab whom he takes to and from school every day.

2. Marceau always had great adventures. Do you feel like part of you was living vicariously through his character?

I wouldn’t call it living vicariously—that’s indirectly living something through somebody else. Imagination is a magical, wonderful place to visit. Majesty and I go there often. We don’t just go there to visit. We go and usually do some good.

Joe and Bobbi Brown

3. You were a lawyer for 50 years and then retired and now living out your second act as a children’s author. Do you wish you’d done it sooner?

I sure do. It would have been nice to have always been an author but as a young man with a family to support and a daughter that I had to buy makeup for, I didn’t have the option. What I have now is wonderful and all the more precious because I am able to put all of my energy into my new career–it was worth the wait.

As satisfying as it is to be a writer, it doesn’t compare to the feeling I get when reading and discussing imagination and writing to eager school children, many of whom thank me for motivating them. Now that’s a good feeling. You should see my fan mail!

Joe Brown

4. What is your advice for those who want to reinvent themselves but may think it is too late?

It’s never too late and I’m a prime example of that. I didn’t get started as a writer until I was past 70. Why would anyone choose to retire and do nothing, even if they could afford it? Every one of us has a great story to tell—all we need to do is write it down.

5. You encourage the children to use their imaginations. Tell us more about that.

Imagination is a thinking game and like any game, the more time you spend playing it, the better you get and the more you enjoy it. We start by closing our eyes and picturing ourselves riding upon an eagle. They see themselves, as they would in a movie, flying around. I take them one step further into this place called “Imagination”—we close our eyes again and this time, we imagine sitting on the eagle’s back, “feel how soft her feathers are” and when we take off, we are no longer looking at ourselves out there flying around. Instead, we look down and see the school, the playground, our house, and our friends. We are now at the center of our imagination.

6. What do you think it is about Marceau and his adventures that makes the kids excited to read?

What kid wouldn’t want to ride on an eagle? Swim with a whale? Make friends with a dinosaur? These are all tempting and exciting things to do. And when reading, I’m hoping they all reach my favorite vacation spot—Imagination.

The Flights of Marceau

Is your imagaintion going yet? If you could fly to Marceau’s Imagination destination, what would you see? Tell us in the comments below—Bobbi will pick her favorite five responses to win a copy of Joe Brown’s “The Flights of Marceau—Race to the Rescue“.  Now, let your imaginations fly…

Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest1Share on StumbleUpon0Google+0Email to someone

34 thoughts on “Meet Joe Brown

1. The relationship between a daughter and father is very special. My dad taught me to have a sense of humor. Growing up, he introduced me to Mel Brooks and The Marx Brothers. I was always his “straight person” and I still am to this day. My dad just recently celebrated his 86th birthday and he soon will see his only grandson being Bar Mitzvah. Dad’s are the best.

2. I love when daughter remembers her parent in such a sweet way.
    What we need more in this world is time and love. I admire Joe for following his dreams and remembering that you never to old to share your world of imagination.
    You go Joe!!!
    XO
    Hanna

3. Love your story!
    When I was little my Dad used to make up stories about “Hector the Garbage Collector” and all his adventures. I wish I had thought to have him make a book about his wonderful characters!
    He knew I loved to get mail, even thought I was only 3 or 4 so he would have special characters write me a letter every month or so. He would tell me he heard a helicopter making special deliveries, and told me to go look on the front porch and there would be a letter waiting addressed to me!
    I was the youngest by almost 7 years, and the only girl, so we had a very special relationship.
    He continued the tradition with my boys when they were little making up stories about a place called “Pumpkin Creek”. I loved him for that, and so did my sons!

4. I meet your father and I love the book what he was reading us when he came to my school and I like the book because it show a lot of stuff like dreams and where was he and he was telling us about the book and when he made his book I love your fathers book. And he was telling us like where he was flying and the book was good. If I was reading that book then where will I fly I will fly with the unicorns,animals,birds, and I will see the unicorns and I will love the book because it shows me that like I wants to make up like my own story and I will see want to see.

5. I’ve met your dad. He’s amazing. He a great author. He gave all of us in 5th grade the book “Come On , Get On” an we all loved the book.
    I am imagining that I am flying on Majesty and I am flying over lot of zebras and lots of horses in Africa. Then I am flying with Majesty and I also see people on horses in a theme park making kids happy. After that we went through the clouds and we saw lots of ice cream clouds and banana split clouds and its was amazing to see those shaped clouds in the shy. After see all those amazing thing I saw with Majesty I was really tried and we had an amazing day. The End. 📝✏️📚📖

6. I told your dad he inspired me to read his book more so he came to my school and I told him what I said when he show as the book my dream is to meet joe brown he is the best athour that I read. I imagine the eagle would take me to forest to help animals that need help like you did joe brown.

7. Hello your dad was here and talked about how you made his books go to the public and here is a story what I would think that happend if a eagle picks me up. was in a eagle would pick me up and tell me all the mysterys of the universe and take me to another universe were your dreams differnt animals that you might not have seen before and people who look differnt than you and welcome you to there world then the eagle takes me back and shows me more worlds and tells me sorry I didn’t tell you my name then the eagle says my name is mageisty and Marceau is the one who told me to show you the a other universe since you wanted to see it then the eagle takes me back and I tell him thank you for the ride home.

8. If I could fly on an eagle I would see, people waving at me on hot air balloons, men, women and children on all of Jupiters moons. All of the unicorns (from moons moon), and travel back in time to see little toons. The strangest thing ever, I would go eat fries, the tastest ever in anyone’s lives. Then I would go home and have a rest, because tomorrow I would have a test.

9. I think i would go to Paris. Wich is ruled by turtles in another universe. that sports are famous the football league is is ntfl and. the basketball league is Ntba and. there favorite ntfl team is the Green Bay turtles. and there favorite Ntba team is the golden state turtles.

10. I like how you went to are school Pershing Elementary.And if I was the man on that eagle I would go to the top of Mountin Everest Or The Top Of the Dubai tower OR THE TOP OF Eiffel Tower.

11. I will go to the Willis tower with With a flying turtle While the clouds are crying And the floor is filled with water. Also it raining meatballs

12. Hi my names Daniel your dad is really cool and if I can go on a ride majesty I would go in space and travel the whole galaxy and visit all the famous stars the Big Dipper,Orion,Gemini,Taurus and the path of coment lovejoy.

13. I also met your father when we had an assembly in our school, he was great and was very kind letting some of us hold the pictures for the stories, he even gave us his new book, Come on, Get on, and now I wish I could stay in 5th grade forever so I could have the same assembly.

14. I’m Julian.G from Pershing Elementary I really like your books your a very unique and creative author. And I also like how your books have rhymes. But If i could go to any destination with Marceau I would go to the Pacific ocean to save a turtle who has 5 heads.

15. Hi I met your father he came to Pershing elementary and read us his books. I would go to a land where unicorns roamed the land and mermaids swam the seven seas. Where fairy’s would grant your wish every time you did a good deed. Unicorns would have magical powers in their horns and I would be riding majesty helping the unicorns make their rainbow after the storm.

16. Hi my name is MIla. I love your dads books! He came to my school on day! But, I think that if I had a chance to fly on Marceau’s imagination destination it would be a land filled with wizards and Unicorns. The land outside looks like the earth but the bule ocean is purple and the greed land is red. And in this imagination destination everyone would be happy. It would be sunny most of the time. But the times that are not sunny it will rain. But the rain does some good. It helps relax the Unicorns and wizards. Plus it gives the Unicorns a bath. The rain help because it is not regular rain. The rain plays happy soft music. There would be a school for the wizards. All trees and all plants. Lots of furit trees so that try both can eat. Even though it is happy in this land that doesn’t mean the the widards and Unicorns can’t get stressed and all the other widards and Unicorns who aren’t stressedhelp the ones who aren’t stressed.

17. Hi My name is Joicelyn Davila and I love the books that your father/dad makes! Maybe 1 question that you have is how I know him? Well he came to Pershing Elementary School and he gave us each a book and he talked to us about his life it was interesting! Well I’m going to answer your question about Marceau and Magesti! Well One normal day Marceaus was in his Taxi driving a passenger and he begin telling his story. One day me Marceaus and Magesti went on a new place we never discovered! It was called Fluffy forever! It was in the sky with lots of clouds and rainbows the thing that caught Marceaus eye was a bird on the floor he looked hurt. Marceaus ran over to the bird he was shocked because it looked like a place of happiness with rainbows colorful things horses,puppy’s,apples,birds chirping! Then he took the bird to a fluffy cloud bed. He took care of him. Then he went out exploring he saw wonderful things like flowers then he saw a hole and he fell in their and saw a biog different world it was a scary world! Marceau was amazed he saw dinosaurs running around finding food. After that he didn’t like it much because it was boring and not very happy. So he tried a few things to get to Fluffy Forever because he didn’t like Dino World much. He grabbed the dinosaur with a rope and brought him to the whole like if he was a dog. Then he climbed on his head and climbed out of the whole. He saw the beautiful place again but then he saw people he was confused! Then he ran to the people but then they dis speared! They where spirits! Did he go to the past the future to a different confusing world? He went to check on the birdie on his fluffy bed he looked better fin looked normal all of him looked normal and different! Another thing that Marceau saw was Magesti he was waiting for him. But he looked different he was white and fluffy and that’s when Marceau saw that he was covered fifth fluffiness from the floor. Marceau went with Magesti and cleaned him up! Then he said goodbye to everything leaving a note the note said, ” I’m leaving know but not for long I’ll be back to see you again don’t forget me I won’t forget you! Sincerely, Marceau & Magesti” I hope you like my story about Marceau I’m not finished but I’m getting their! I like the books your dad makes they are so interesting and Fantasy! Your dad makes amazing books and I would like to be like him making books and inspiring kids to make books when they grow up or right know!! Thank you for coming to our school and thank you for giving us a book and last one THANK YOU FOR INSPIRING ME TO MAKE BOOKS! BYE!!

18. Hi I met your dad he camed to my school we loved him he gave us free books. If I had majestic I would go to under the sea and saw some monkeys that had fins.

19. My name is Melina. I met your Dad, he writes the most amazing stories. I love the book ‘ Come On, Get On ‘ . If I could travel to Marceau’s imagination destination, I would go and see , Earth’s Earth ( a place that I made up )and meet ALIENS !!! There will be Unicorns and flying Monkeys , and NO harm can be done to Earth’s Earth . All the creatures of the Earth can travel to Earth’s Earth, with the flick of a tail , There’s a trail. Take that trail and you’ll be brought on an amazing adventure.

20. I like joe brown because he went to my school he was so kind and hes one of my favorite authors.

If I could fly anywhere it would be a candy land and me and majesty will fly to the land where there is no sand and there’s a band a gummy bear band we dance all night until… The light comes up there was a market place and we met a candy princess in a cotton candy dress she was perfectly dressed she told us there was trouble in the village me and majesty quickly told me to get on his back we flew to the village and there was a three ear chocolate Rabbit he said my chocolate chick is getting sick so me and majesty got the medicine we went to the chocolate chick and we heal the chick and the three ear chocolate rabbit said thank you and everyone had a party and there were peeps one purple one green and one really neat they said help yellow peep is stuck in a lifesaver we pulled and pulled and we got the yellow peep out and me and majesty went home the end.

21. Hi my name is Carmen and I met your dad before and he writes awsome books. If I were Marceau and I ride on Magstie I will go and see things that people never see before, like going to a other world and see cats and dogs with wings and that could fly. Or go and fly on the tallest mountain.

22. Hi,

Your father came to the school that I teach at in Berwyn, Ilinois. He visited the fifth graders, who were in awe of him and his stories. He gave them each a free copy of Come On Get On. We are going to be studying the genre of Fantasy beginning next week, so I decided to introduce the unit be reading MoonsMoon to my class. Then, I had them visit this site and make a post to try and win a copy of Race to the Rescue. They were so excited! I hope that you enjoy reading them. Your dad has been at my school for the past 3 years, and I hope he comes back every year. He is such an inspiration to my students, and to myself (another aspiring author).

Reply on May 9th, 2016

Hi Carmela! Please email us at social@bobbibrown.com.

23. I met your dad and he came to our school! He was amazing! His imagination runs free and wild! Joe Brown inspired me! My names is Amaris Perez

If I were Marceau, I would…,

I would go to Pink Pink land, were we would become what our dreams were. I’d become a singer and a director. While Melina, (my cousin) will own a cupcake shop, and once I took a bite I’d feel like a superstar. Almost everything would be pink. Everyday there’s something new in her shop. I would have two adorable toy cup poodles and they would be best friends with Majesty. And no one would have to become adults! You wouldn’t pass 13. If someone was sad, they’d become blue. People would race over to make them happy. There would feel be no bad guys. No mean guys. Every morning, you wake up to the smell of Meli’s Cupcakes! (Melina’s cupcakes) And bacon. Delist yummy fresh crispy or soft bacon. Pink Pink would be known to people who have dreams. Dreams and try to accomplish them. They love their dreams! They visit it every night. They visit when they feel sad, or mad. When they’re nervous or scared. We’ll always be there for them. We will comfort them. We is everyone in Pink Pink land. We’re always there for each other! We love each other! We have FUN! Sing songs, act your mind. Our national animal would be pigs. We give them a chance, and they are adorable! Pink creatures that will comfort you. It will never betray you. They are pink. Everyone has equal rights. Boys are equal. Girls are equal. You don’t need to be perfect to be the perfect friend for someone. There is no violence in Pink Pink land. When you sleep, you have a dream bubble, and if you have a nightmare, you can pop it, and it’ll be all over. Majesty has a bed of his own. Pink, round, fluffy, and warm. Everyone has that bed. Everyone is there own person. As the story may sound, it seems as though they all do the same things, it seems as though we do the same things have the same things, and love the same things. But we are all very, very, different. That’s what makes us all fun and happiness. We say goodnight to the small, small neighborhood. And dream. Dream of what you already are. Because Pink Pink land, brigs your dreams to life, but the real world, on Earth, you really already are your dreams if you attempted to do it. Close your eyes, and you are back in your very own styled bed in the morning! – Amaris Perez, and the Pink Pink Land

24. I will go to the third floating island of Shibooya. A wonder full place in a portal. The food is far more weirder than th food Indians eat
    We’re the shade cape is the third floating island is called sky scanthatanth it is so foggy on the ground the water is fresh and will not run aut it rains very often it’s very moist and slushy its like a tropical rain forest wer very thing is peaceful and I’ve bin there before
    trust me trust me it is wonder full

By Kevin villa ¿On my way !!!

25. Hi my name is Paola you dad came to our school and when he was here he inspired me to start writing stories i’m not quite sure what it will be about yet but I know that I will use my imagination. If I could fly to Marceau’s destination I would go to where ever my imagination takes me and today my imagination took me to giant world. It would see a lot of giant people walking in the streets having a lot of fun then I see a sad tree and on top of the tree there was a giant kid hanging from the tree and I would know that the tree was sad because of the kid so I would try to rescue to kid the tree was tall so he could not jump because he would break a bone I looked closely at the sky and it also seemed like it was sad so I started moving. This town can’t be sad because it’s a verey happy town. I climed the tree got to the top. I knew I would only get one chance so it have to be a good one. When the boy saw me I told him to calm down, I saw a rope and I grabbed it and gave it to the kid I climed back down and did my best to put under a rock when I did it told him to climb up when he got up I was so relived I looked at the sky it was happy I looked at the tree it was also happy then I kinew that my job was done here so I closed my eyes and I was back to my house.

26. I think the place I would go to Tortouise land and I would see gaint Tortouise that are the size of The Willis tower and there homes are the size of a submarine and some turtles are the size of a baby’s shoe and the turtles homes are like homes of mice

27. Hi my name is Emily I met your did this year am in 5th grade your dad was inspiring I love writing stories and funny stories your dad is one of a kind. I would be in my room I woke up by a noise outside I open my door and walked down the stairs really quite then I opened the front door and a big flash went in my eyes the flash went away I opened my eyes and I saw majesty her eyes were so big her wings were so thick behind her I saw a rainbow it was big as the sun there was clouds every were there were
    butterflies,bunnies,flowers,unicorns,red hearts with tiny little legs and arms I looked at majesty and I said what is this place she said its you this is you this is is me I looked confused she said you could imagine anything you want remember that she said come on all take you for a spin she put her wings down and I climbed up you ready yes I am she flew high and high up the sky I looked down and saw everything “my mind let me leap to the heights of the sky” it was beautiful I asked majesty what am I doing here she said your here so that you could know you could be whatever you want I said were are we going she said image were you wanna go and make it real close your eyes and breathe I close my eyes and I imagine of when I was a 5 years old and when it was my birth day we want to funno land when I opened my eyes I saw it there was funno land majesty took me down and I jumped off I saw my mom I saw dad uncle Bobby Melissa me in the pink princess dress I had so much fun I Looked at the necklace my mom gave me you ready Emily yes I hoped back on and majesty flew high and high up again we passed by when I was three and I was dancing like a monkey at my grandmas house every one saw I laughed so hard we past by when I was 2 and my mom said eat your Broccoli or no candy and I go all upset and hit my food and it got all over me I fell asleep and we were on the ground I was next to this big tree with big red apples I asked if I could get one and majesty said you may I got up and saw an animal I didn’t know what it was so I got closer and it was a unicorn it ran so I followed then it vanished majesty followed I asked what it was but she said nothing then she said go through the bushes I went through the them and she went over them I saw her fly up high I heat going and saw her at the other side then I saw UNICORNS there was pink unicorns and blue unicorns I saw a rainbow,a lake,a bridge,and a beautiful unicorn she was white she had a long white tail and a crown she said hi Emily my name is princess Luna white I said hi let me show you around I walked with her and majesty said it ok all be here waiting I walked with her and she said this is were we care for the baby unicorns this is were we train the unicorns I asked if she had any kids and she said yes these are all my kids I was amazed we walked by the train tracked its were you race she said I wanna show you something we walked by this big case it was white with gold she showed me something and said this is for you remember when ever you wanna dream hood this and say majesty three times you will always me remembered here ok ok is said know lets go back we walked back to majesty and she said how did it go I said it was amazing lets go said majesty I said ok and hoped on and said bye every one they said bye majesty flew high up and we went back to the front door and she said don’t worry I hugged her and said all miss you I opened the front door walked in and said bye I went up the stairs and into my bed I closed my eyes and…… I opened them and looked around and remember what majesty said you can be what ever you want and I said good night majesty and I looked at my hand and saw the red key chain that princess Luna white gave me and I squeezed it as hard at I can and fell asleep