Be Who You Are

062916_BWYA_02

When I was 16 years old, I went to a small makeup boutique in my hometown of Chicago and asked for a makeover. I loved makeup and wanted to look better. I remember being so excited to look in the mirror—but when I did, I looked nothing like myself. The owner had “corrected” what she saw as my flaws. She had shaded my nose to make it smaller, contoured my eyes to create the illusion of eyelids and drawn-in fuller-looking lips. I couldn’t wait to get home to wash off my face.

That moment helped shape my belief that makeup should enhance, not cover up your features. And years later, it influenced my work as a freelance makeup artist. While everyone else was doing the Eighties look—white skin, red lips, contoured cheeks—I did what felt right to me. Rather than painting in features that didn’t exist, I used makeup to enhance what was naturally there (which in my opinion was most beautiful). I remember a famous makeup artist saying to me, “This makeup isn’t going to work. If you want to stay in the industry, you better stop doing natural, healthy-looking makeup.” Thankfully, I didn’t take his advice.

When I created my first lipstick, I wasn’t thinking about starting a company. I just wanted a lipstick that didn’t exist at the time—something that looked like lips. That lipstick turned into a collection of 10 lipsticks and in 1991 (without a business plan or a grand scheme), I launched Bobbi Brown Cosmetics.

FH16_BWYA_Grid_Static

A lot has changed in the 25 years since the start of my company—from my countless hair styles to my three babies who are now men to the explosion of social media.What hasn’t changed is my belief that beauty is about being who you are and making the best of what you have. To celebrate this milestone, I’m proud to announce Be Who You Are—our largest campaign to-date featuring women of all ages, races and walks of life. Some of the women are my friends and co-workers. Others are entrepreneurs who I admire. There are also photographers, artists, students, writers, and a few who I spotted on the street and invited to be a part of the campaign.

All the women in the campaign have their own unique look and story to tell. They’re confident and comfortable in their own skin—and that, to me, is what matters most.

To be beautiful it’s not about how you look, it’s about how you feel. Check out the campaign at BobbiBrown.com and let me know what you think. I hope it inspires you to #Be Who You Are.

05_BWYA_FB_600x600_v2

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest32Share on StumbleUpon0Google+0Email to someone

17 thoughts on “Be Who You Are

1. Thank God! There is someone (makeup artist) who thinks that what God has created is the best for you!
    I get very disturbed when people tell orhers that your nose could look better and those eyes are a little too small for your face. And the worst thing about that is that people even tell all this to children at a very tender age by pinpointing one of their “Prominent Features” , yes, I call it prominent and not ” miss fit”.
    Unfortunately, people become so ruthless and insensitive when they make such comments and they never realise that they have shattered someone’s confidence in an attempt to be too correct! This things leads to over makeup or what you call “correcting” their features.
    I am glad that you are taking a step to encourage people to feel good about themselves and even if it restores confidence in one person… You win!
    Good luck!

2. What a great campaign. I’ve been a Bobbi Brown fan for 20 years, and can always count on your brand to provide excellent products. Everything I’ve used has helped help bring out my best features and allow me feel polished and pretty, from prom to my wedding to the corporate world. Cheers to another 25 years!

3. Absolutely love Bobbi Brown and her philosophy. Can’t stand the cookie cutter approach to make up and what you “should” look like! #Be Who You Are is, to me, the vision you see of yourself in your head… You, only better….

4. Bobbi – Thank you for being who you are and sharing it with all of us! Looking forward to your next 25 years of making us feel beautiful!

5. Love the idea. It’s inspirational and makes me want to take time to be ‘more me’. However, it feels like another campaign with a couple of token older women and I fear that at the age of 41, I only have a couple of more years before the brand feels irrelevant to me. What about older models and counter assistants?

6. Been w/ BB since the original lipstick line…skincare AND makeup. At 68, I still maintain a natural & neutral look. Many of Bobbi’s sparkle & metallic eye shadows are not for my age group. I would also like to see more matte shadow shades & it seems the number of shimmer shades have dwindled as well. The new illuminating and/or sparkle finish powders accentuate my fine lines. Please Bobbi, don’t forget your long time clients who want to “BE WHO WE ARE”.

7. What was the original color?

Reply on July 27th, 2016

Great question, Cheryl. Bobbi developed Brown Lip Color–“a lipstick that looked like lips, only better”–followed by 9 other wearable colors. They are: Salmon, Beige, Raisin, Rose, Pink, Orange, Blackberry, Burnt Red and Red. Find all these classic shades here:

8. The MUA at the BB counters seem to all be 30 and under. How can they possibly understand the needs/looks of women in their 50’s, 60’s & 70’s. It’s quite frustrating!!!!

9. I am so thankful for the new campaign that Bobbi has in “Be who you are” I just turned 59, am a mother of 3 grown children, 2 who are married and one who has just shared that I am going to be a Grandmother in March. I work out regularly and try to eat well, but I must admit, I am in a sales profession where there are a lot of younger women, who look amazing and are already, in their 30’s doing Botox, and having other adjustments. I have been wearing Bobbi Brown makeup for the past 4 years and have loved the transition that I have had from the Bare Minerals make up. My daughter, who is 28, and now pregnant, has also been wearing Bobbi for that long as well and loves it. The “Be who you are” campaign hit home with me, because as a woman working in a field with amazing and beautiful people, it is hard not to compare how you look to theirs. Your campaign has made me appreciate the woman that I am, and that being me is o.k.
    Thanks Bobbi!!

10. I was SO excited to learn about “Be Who You Are”, when I got home from work the night it launched I watched every YouTube video I could find. I even posted a couple on my Facebook page. Bobbi, seeing how your brand has evolved over the years and seeing that you have stayed true to your core philosophy about beauty is inspiring. Be Who You Are is such a powerful message. It reminds me every day to believe in myself and my abilities. And to never give up on my dreams, because life is too short to be unhappy all the time. Thank you Bobbi!